Friday, September 28, 2007

Root Cause

Me and my very good friend Abhijit Kaore just saw the amazing The Motorcycle Diaries chronicling the journey by the eventual Che Guevera and his friend Alberto.

Musing, while I let the movie soak me, I saw what must be one of things that Che must have seen and felt - Hunger; with a capital H.

We saw people evicted out of the land that they once called home only to be someone's petty slave and lead a life in servitude where once a chest was pumped with pride. What drove them to do this? Or what forced them? What was the root cause? What IS the root cause?

Hunger?

Hunger for food.. very basic
Hunger for money.. thats the way the world works now
Hunger for respect.. what a man or woman holds dearest
Hunger for love.. what steeps you in selflessness
Hunger for more.. what drives us to be the beasts that we once were

It is strange that a movie on Che made me think of Buddha.. yes, *the* Gautam Buddha. He said, "*Desire* is the root cause of all evil". If you could think of Desire and Hunger in a little abstract terms, you realize that they are the same. Hunger is the root cause of all evil.. Maybe hunger is the root cause of all Desire too.. Maybe Hunger *IS* Desire. I wish I could extrapolate..

Che sought to level Hunger with his revolution, Buddha to quell Desire with with his resolution.

I am not here to take sides. Just to put forth the the thought-trips that some of the best English movies take me on. What makes you think?

No comments: